Monday, November 3, 2008

Chapter One Response

The first chapter of the book started off well as the author initiates the plot with George and Lennie being chased for something Lennie did. The setting is in the countryside and the author does a magnificent job of using nature's symbolism. In this chapter he used plenty of different kind of birds to do the job of foreshadowing or symbolizing the mood between George and Lennie. I myself can connect with the story a bit so far as I'm from a small town in Germany and grew up in the countryside. The movie we've been viewing in class parallel to reading the book, is pretty exact with displaying the setting as the author describes it in the novel. The first chapter ends with George and Lennie going to sleep out in the open, prior to this they had a fight which I believe the author uses to let the reader know what kind of a relationship exists in between George and Lennie. We are a bit ahead of the book with watching the movie so I already know what will happen in the next chapter, even though we haven't seen or read it I strongly believe there will be a fight in between Lennie and owner's son.

No comments: